When I think of “Knotty Pine Cottage” on Hen’s Cove on the Cape, three words come to mind:
HEAVEN ON EARTH! I’ve stayed here for years and adored every minute and I’m happy to share why.
It’s like stepping back in time to a simpler, saner, slower-paced chapter where you actually spend time relaxing, de-stressing, and enjoying the environment around you. BLISS!!!!!
I say that because it’s right smack-dab on the cove with the sound of water lapping literally outside your window. AAAHHH! No hustle or bustle here. No real man-made noise (you may see some kayaks and sailboats but no annoying loud powerboats or toys (hello sounds of nature!). You get a chance to reconnect with yourself and with your friends/family and the natural world around you.
People are friendly and there’s never a crowd – not ever.
This place has all the required creature-comforts (AND technology, too!)
Yes, there’s a TV. and internet now (concessions I frankly didn’t need myself, loving the idea of getting unplugged as I did) – and also now a microwave (I actually liked challenging myself to think and cook less “tech,” but I’ll adapt!). If you miss your dishwasher, don’t fret, you’ll be reconnected soon enough! In the meantime, savor some back-to-basics! It’s got the beds (all really comfy), kitchen equipment and gathering space needed for whenever you’re inside.
The #1 reason I love it here: The GENTLY-LAPPING COVE RIGHT OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOW, not across the street or through trees! (P.S. wall of windows in the living room looking directly onto water!!)
Personal favorites I’m happy to share:
1. Outdoor shower (if you haven’t had this Cape Cod experience, you’ll get how cool it is when you sample this, trust me – only THIS one isn’t just safe and secure with plenty of hot water and dappled sunlight in the leaves of the trees overhead, this one has a WATERVIEW, too!)
2. Eating outside on the patio looking at the water morning, noon or night
3. Rocking in the chair reading the paper on the porch … watching the sun come up over the water as you steal a night into dawn on the living room futon
4. The location – PERFECT in my book! You’re literally ON the water (almost above it when the tide comes in) – not across the street from it or down the road from it or get-a-glimpse of it!
5. In low tide you can sit on your own private piece of sand and you can wade out from your own yard down steps to the water to swim or float - more AHHHH!
6. The sweet public beach a short and easy walk down the street.
7. For exercise, I like to walk the circle that is Circuit Ave. and be blissed out by water views the whole way around. (Plenty of people bike – this place looks like a Norman Rockwell picture of family time the way it was and should be.)
8. Convenience store, pizza/sandwich place, grocery, post office and hardware store just a super-quick drive just up the road.
9. A short drive away you’ll find good restaurants where we’ve dined many times over the years.
10. One of my favorite Cape Cod towns is close – Falmouth (for a fix of good clothing/home shops, fine dining, and some of the best ice cream I’ve ever eaten – Ben’s Chocolate Emporium!).
Small, but big enough for a swell, sweet stay! The cottage itself is small (please don’t expect Cape Cod mini-mansion) and basic in a quaint, turn-back-time way (don’t expect Pottery Barn perfection – nothing fussy or “home design studio” here). But don’t be fooled – it’s got EVERYTHING you need to vacation if peaceful, re-energizing, breathtaking and relaxing are appealing to you like they have been to me and the rest of us who ADORE THIS PLACE!
“Knotty Pine Cottage” is about getting away from it all and getting back in touch with what matters, at a pace and in a place that makes it all possible – RIGHT ON THE WATER!
show more show less