Great Location, Good House, Unreasonable owner
• Proximity to Seagull Beach – this house is within a quarter mile of Seagull Beach and on the access lane to beach parking, providing the option to walk for 10/15 minutes on the walk path.
• The deck - the attached deck is spacious and facing the South exposure, so it gets sun most of the day. There is a large patio set and accompanying deck furniture, easily accommodating the full capacity of renters
• The sleeping accommodations are very good, with almost all being upstairs.
• The dining and kitchen area is large
• Numerous AC units
• The house was added on to and there is a large, two-faced fireplace on the first floor of the new wing (as pictured), requiring the living space to be broken up into two rooms. Due to that, the house sleeps 16, but the maximum that can be seated in the TV room is 7, unless you start bringing in dining chairs (something to be aware of)
• The driveway is longer, but narrow with an island in the middle, making parking cumbersome. *If your car is even slightly on the sparse grass, you will receive an email from the owner, immediately, which we did within two hours of arriving
• The stairs to the front entrance are a disaster. They are uneven, with a large dip, just as it connects to the house. If entering or leaving without being extremely careful, you could fall. *A definite hazard for elderly renters!!
• The owner does not supply cable, so TV viewing is limited to DVDs or smart services that you subscribe to. The alternative is to buy an adapter (at $40) to livestream news, etc..
• The outside shower is dark, dingy, and not something you will want to use.
The owner will cash your security deposit upon initial payment, so recovering the deposit is subject to their pure discretion, which proved problematic for us. During the rental time, we became aware of a dining chair with connecting arms that looked loose. We tried to avoid sitting on it, just in case, but one of our family sat on it, unaware of the issue and the chair fully collapsed, with our family member hitting the ground and back wall hard. Thankfully, she was not significantly injured, however, the owner decided to recover the loss of the chair through the security deposit without accepting any responsibility for providing a chair that was dangerous. Based on that, be forewarned that you rent this property at your own risk. Any faulty property could be charged against your security deposit.
show more show less
Date of Stay: August 2017
Date Submitted: August 2017
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all the positive comments. We will be working hard to make this house even better for the next guests. We are happy you enjoyed the beach. It is one of the nicest beaches on the Cape, and it’s only a short walk away. It is great to hear that you found comfort for all 16 guests even though you said no more than 12. We also appreciate the fact that you moved your cars off our lawn as we didn’t think it was necessary to let people know that it is inappropriate to do that.
Unfortunately unforeseen breakage happens, and that is the purpose of the security deposit. If something broke, we use it to fix it. No matter how you falsify the occurrence to make yourselves seem innocent, you broke a chair that was otherwise fine and we asked for $100 for it (not the whole deposit as you are stating). In return, we were met by insults and disrespect, instead of a calm discussion. We were as cordial as we could be given the circumstances because we understand that things happen. We have been in situations where we stayed somewhere and something broke. We had a calm discussion with the landlord and agreed to part of our deposit being forfeited. You tried everything to get out of any responsibility: threatening to sue us, trash us in reviews, etc. You continued to insult me over emails, calling me names, threatening me and my family. I do not run a business, I share my home with others.
To clean up some of the fallacies of your review:
- You do not need to pay to stream live TV. It is FREE. We provide Roku for all 3 TVs, nothing needs to be purchased as stated in the review. We supply detailed directions at the house and via email of how to watch live TV using ROKU for free.
- The outdoor shower has a brand new floor and a completely bleached out enclosure. There is sufficient amount of light all through the day.
- The steps are absolutely suitable for a person with no disabilities, we don’t advertise the house to be handicap-accessible. Our house is constantly rented and we have never had any complaints. It seems like you are exaggerating because you are angry. But we will take a look and see if we can improve.
- Our pictures are accurate (as you have stated yourself) and anything further you are saying seems just like anger words.
Your attitude and demeanor was nothing short of boorishness. You seemed unhappy from the moment you came to the house. We did everything possible to please you. You demanded a gas grill as we originally just offered charcoal, so we went out and bought one for you. You sent us rude emails demanding wi-fi information ASAP, even though it was supplied to you prior to arrival and was clearly posted in the kitchen. You complained that we don’t have cable, even though we never claimed we had cable. On Sunday, less than 24 hours after your arrival, you requested that we send someone to take a look at the refrigerator because it wasn’t cooling; only to figure out it was because you had something obstructing the door from closing. We did everything we could to make your stay pleasant. We have been renting 2 houses and have 50+ 5 star reviews on other websites with no negative reviews. And yes, things have been broken, but we have always ended with a favorable conclusion for both parties. Sometimes we have to understand that there is nothing more we could have done, and you would never be pleased and just move on.
To make sure your negative energy doesn’t stay with us or in our home, the money that we kept from your deposit was donated to a local charity. Overall, we live and we learn, and we will take this experience to heart and try to be better at screening possible tenants, as Einstein said “stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.”show moreshow less