A vacation on Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or Nantucket is always a wonderful experience that creates many special memories. We have gathered a few unique and fun ways for you and your family to bring your memories home with you.
Looking for an easy, budget-friendly DIY project? The answer: glass jars. Fill a jar with sand, seashells, beach glass, seaglass and small pieces of driftwood collected on your beach vacation. Glass jars come in all shapes and sizes, so the options are endless. Mark it with a label identifying the date and location. Display it on a bookshelf, coffee table or bedside table.
This one is a great project for kids. Wrap the exterior and interior of an Altoid tin with a map of the Cape or Islands area that you traveled to, and let your little ones fill it with small trinkets they collected on their vacation. Perhaps a tiny piece of seaglass, a small pinecone, a pretty rock, a ticket stub, small shells, and whatever other "special treasures" they collected.
The Sandy Feet Keepsake Casting Kit allows you to bring memories of the beach home with you. All you have to do is mix the plaster with the ocean water; have your child, dog, spouse, grandparent, whomever make a footprint in the sand; pour the plaster into the footprint; and in about 20 minutes you will have a sandy footprint to take home with you. Many of our local gift shops carry this product.
Find your favorite vista and take a picture. Photographs are the most popular way to remember a vacation, so why not get creative with the special images:
- Have this picture imprinted on a shower curtain. Every morning will be a reminder of your great vacation!
- How about each person put a footprint in the sand? Write the name of the beach and the year into the sand and snap a photo. If you are a frequent visitor to the Cape and Islands, choose to have a family photo taken in the same spot each year. It is fun to see how the people and landscape can change over time.
- Build a sandcastle each year, and take a picture. Be sure to include the name of the beach and the year. It can be fun to see how your sandcastle skills develop (or not!)
- Flip-flops are synonymous with beach vacations. Why not prop a pair of each person's flip-flops in a line in the sand, and snap away. You can do the same sort of thing with bathing suits.
- Many Cape and Islands vacation homes have a clothesline from which to hang wet bathing suits. Hang the suits up and take a picture. Do this each year you vacation on the Cape and Islands.
Create a family vacation memory journal. This can be as detailed or as simple as you choose. One idea is to simply have each person write a sentence or two about their happiest moment or favorite moment of that day. Do this each day you are on vacation.
Want to share your Cape Cod vacation with others? Set up a blog, Facebook page or Pinterest Board. People can share your fabulous vacation, and it may even encourage them to plan their own!
A family vacation scrapbook is something that can be created and cherished for years to come and for future generations to enjoy. When it comes to scrapbooking, the options are endless, ranging from a standard photo album filled with pictures, ticket stubs, maps, and other souvenirs, to a detailed scrapbook that you can fully customize with scrapbook materials.
By creating something tangible from your Cape Cod or Islands vacation, the wonderful memories of your time in this very special place are guaranteed to last a lifetime and can easily be shared with others. Just by looking at it, you can get back to the Cape and Islands, if only for a moment.
Looking for some more ways to commemorate your Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket vacation? Be sure to stop by WeNeedaVacation.com's Pinterest Board, WeNeedaVacation.com Pinterest Board - Cape Cod and Islands Vacation Memories