We’ve pulled 5 fast facts about one of the Cape and Islands’ most beautiful residents, hydrangeas. Many of the vacation rentals on our site are decorated with the colorful flowers, which keep their vibrant color for much of the season.
1. Hydrangeas come in a variety of colors including white, blue, pink, green and purple. The color of a hydrangea is determined by the acidity level of the soil. If the pH level of the soil changes, so will the color of the hydrangea. Add organic matter to your soil to lower the pH and encourage the blue color.
Wellfleet vacation rental ID 4999
2. If you think hydrangeas look good enough to eat, please don’t - they are mildly toxic.
Oak Bluffs vacation rental ID 16901
3. Hydrangeas are believed to have originated in Japan.
Harwich vacation rental ID 9736
4. As their name suggests, hydrangeas need to be kept well hydrated - lots of water for these flowers.
Harwich vacation rental ID 24665
5. Hydrangeas range in size from 3 to 10 feet height. Some climbing hydrangeas can climb up to 80 feet!
Chatham vacation rental ID 23716
Want to learn more about the Cape and Islands’ signature flower? Then book a Cape Cod vacation rental home and plan to attend the Cape Cod Hydrangea Festival being held July 12 – 21 or Hydrangea University taking place July 12th at Heritage Museum and Gardens.
Edgartown vacation rental ID 25197
About Susan Hutchins: I joined the WeNeedaVacation team in 2012 and write website and blog content as well as promote WeNeedaVacation.com through social media. Having grown up spending summers on Nantucket, I have a strong connection to Cape Cod and the Islands. I now live in New Hampshire with my husband, two children, and golden retriever, and we are frequent visitors to the Cape. I love running local road races, the Brewster in Bloom 5K being a favorite. My family enjoys biking on the Cape Cod Rail Trail, hiking in Nickerson State Park, and relaxing on the beautiful beaches (usually a dog friendly one!).