Big news on Cape Cod! 2015 welcomes a movie filming on location here on Cape Cod.
The Finest Hours will star Chris Pine, Casey Affleck, and Holliday Granger. Based on the book by Casey Sherman (Barnstable High School ’87) and Michael J. Tougias, The Finest Hours chronicles the February 1952 events of two oil tankers, the SS Pendletonand the SS Fort Mercer. The two ships encountered one of the worst storms to ever hit New England, and due to rough seas both tankers were literally broken in half ten miles off the coast of Chatham. What followed was an extraordinary and heroic rescue of the crewmen by the US Coast Guard.
The Finest Hours being filmed on Cape Cod
This is not the first movie to be filmed on location on Cape Cod and the Islands. Over 25 movies have been filmed entirely or in part in the area. Of course, not all were blockbusters, but below are just a few:
- Rip Van Winkle, the story of a man who slept for 20 years and awakens to find a very different world, was filmed in Barnstable in 1903.
- The blockbuster, Jaws, released in 1975, is the story of a shark and the small island community it terrorizes. The movie was filmed in various locations throughout Martha’s Vineyard as well as in Falmouth. One of the most recognizable sites is the American Legion Memorial Bridge, which sits between Oak Bluffs and Edgartown and is now often referred to as the "Jaws bridge."
Much of Jaws was filmed in Menemsha; photo courtesy of property 17189
- The 80’s film, One Crazy Summer, starred John Cusak and Demi Moore and was filmed almost entirely on Nantucket.
- A 1995 remake of a 1954 original, Sabrina, with Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond, is a love story with a twist and was filmed in Chilmark and Vineyard Haven on Martha’s Vineyard. The cottage used in the film once belonged to Billy Joel and overlooks Chilmark Harbor.
Race Point Light in Provincetown
- The 2009 film, The Light Keepers, filmed on location throughout Cape Cod, has a large number of scenes filmed at Race Point Light in Provincetown and Chatham Light. The story line follows a lightkeeper who does not want to associate with women, but he is forced to reconsider when two female visitors move into a cottage nearby for the summer.
- The 2012 movie, That's My Boy, starring Adam Sandler, features a replica of Fenway Park’s left field wall, the Green Monster. It was built at Dennis Middle School, and the cast and crew spent about two weeks filming on location in Dennis.
Replica of Fenway Park’s Green Monster
Before embarking on your next Cape and Islands vacation, rent a few of these films, and then see if you can scout out some of the movie locations while visiting.
If you are a real movie buff, consider renting a home that features a media room or entertainment center (
Brewster Vacation Rental - ID 19960,
Siasconset Vacation Rental - ID 12838, ,
Orleans Vacation Rental - ID 16720, ,
Nantucket Vacation Rental - ID 21041)
and you can watch these movies (and others) in a theater-like atmosphere while vacationing on the Cape and Islands.
You may not give all these movies two thumbs up, but when you choose one of WeNeedaVacation.com’s
rental homes for your next vacation, you will certainly give your vacation two thumbs up!
About Becky Fischer: I have worked for WeNeedaVacation.com since 2003. Currently serving as Marketing Manager, my position entails collaborating on all print and social media marketing efforts as well as the company's valuable relationship with 17 local Chambers of Commerce. In addition, I provide photography, video, and consultation services to vacation rental homeowners, and have photographed over 300 homes on the Cape and Islands. My husband and three children moved to Brewster in 2006. I grew up outside of Boston, spent summer vacations on Nantucket, and was married in Orleans. My favorite activities on the Cape are walking on the CCRT, deep breaths at the beach, and working with my community to support the schools and local events.